Sunday, February 17, 2013

Someone should shake me (seriously) every now and again...

Every time I start worrying about a mark, someone really ought to give me a sound shaking!! I was SO concerned that I was going to have gotten a not-so-great mark on my psychology exam. And what did I get? Another 90% (A+). I was also concerned that I would have gotten a C on my orchestration exam...high B+. Now, I would obviously have preferred an A, and if I'd had a few minutes more I might have gotten an A, because I forgot a few little markings on the largest part that meant I lost a few marks, such as forgetting to specify which type of clarinet I wanted to play, and in one of my transpositions, I forgot to put in the key signature! That alone cost me three marks, which would have moved my 87% to a 90%. Sheer lack of time I think. BUT, the good news is that I got the harmonics correct, which is one section that I puzzled over quite a bit-having the viola strings listed by number instead of letter threw me off a bit, and I had to figure out which was which because I had forgotten that you count down instead of up...the lowest string is 4, then 3 etc. Completely opposite to the song I sing with my students "One two three four five the lines, one two three four spaces...Treble Clef and Bass Clef too, count UP from the BOTTOM".

Anyways...that one night of getting 5 1/2 hours of sleep REALLY threw me off. After I did that exam I pretty much crashed a bit, although I did get down to the hospital to meet with my ICM, and then was actually able to attend bible study for once because I wasn't teaching in the evening on thursday (long story, but I taught ALL my students today. Long day). I was supposed to babysit for a friend at 6am but thankfully (or not...) she was sick herself and needed to stay home. I feel bad that she was ill, but at the same time, me sleeping for 2 1/2 hours was definitely a good thing. And then I was able to go down to the university and mark the skills tests instead, which was also good because one of my fellow markers N was still sick/something. When I finished marking the tests, I REALLY crashed. Pretty much quite literally, on one of the run-down-springs-strange-who-knows-how-old couches that we inherited that are falling apart but provide some degree of comfort at the faculty of music. I don't know how long I debated whether I was going to go home and eat or eat at the university...I was not hungry in the least, couldn't decide whether it would be bad to wait until after 2pm (when I would get home) to eat...you get the picture. The cycle is pretty annoying to say the least.

And now it is reading week. A certain surprise that has continued to be surprising has reminded me of the necessity of getting checked out by my doctor...hopefully I can get in this coming week or early the next week. It's now been almost two months of waiting for my genetics test results. I asked my bible study friends to pray with me for the patience in waiting for the results...and for the courage and strength to get into see my doctor!

No comments:

Post a Comment