Friday, January 20, 2012

Echocardiogram

Today was my echocardiogram. A little bit uncomfortable and long, but not a problem. I will not, however, know the results for at least a couple of weeks, and possible up to a month! It was actually kind of interesting, seeing everything, and the technician was fortunately willing to talk about what he was doing and what we were seeing. Pretty cool, although I naturally would not be able to tell if anything was wrong! All things told, it was actually easier on me doing this test then doing the EKG's. For one thing, the room was darkened.

I found out from the technician that it's probably the latex in the EKG pads that caused my reaction. He said that it was important that I know that...latex sensitivities can develop over time, which would explain why I didn't react before (such as during the 24-hour Holter monitoring when I was 13). But, it can get worse, so I should have it noted on my medical record (ex, if I needed emergency surgery sometime it would be important for the surgeons and nurses to wear latex-free gloves).

That's about all.

No comments:

Post a Comment