Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Additional pain point...

Yesterday evening, I found out that one of the children whose journey I had been following on Caringbridge died. She had a successful bone marrow transplant I think it was 43 days ago, however, about two weeks ago, she developed a host of infections, including CMV, and pneumonia, caused by a rare fungal infection. She had surgery to remove the fungus from her nose and then a full lobe of her lung (because it was so diseased from the fungus) late last week, I think on thursday, and for two days, she was doing pretty well, had actually come down quite a bit on her oscillator and oxygen settings, however, she took a turn for the worse yesterday, and the doctors told her parents that the only thing they could do would be to move her from her crib to a big bed, and have them snuggled up together when they removed the wires and tubes so that they could hold her for the few minutes that she would live without them. Little Paxten Pearson managed to win my heart over although I had only been following her journey for a few weeks, and from afar. I'm not sure why her death is hitting me harder than so many of the other children...I think it's that there was so much hope for two or three days, because she was surpassing all expectations, and then it suddenly changed. She was only 22 months old...

I say that it hit me more today because last night I couldn't actually accept it. I knew it, but I couldn't accept it until it was actually posted on HER caringbridge site and not the site of another little one that I follow (friends of the Pearson family). That was not posted until today.

Her site is www.caringbridge.org/visit/paxtenpearson

No comments:

Post a Comment