Tuesday, January 10, 2012

20th century one-finished!

Well, 20th century one is FINISHED. I am no longer carrying the equivalent of 20 credit hours on the go, it is now down to 17 credit hours. Hopefully within a week, that will be down to the 11 credit hours that I am actually supposed to be doing this semester. 20 credit hours is WAY above what most students, even taking full course loads take. Actually, 9 credit hours is considered a full course load, most take 12-15, and 15 is often pushing it. So having to finish up 9 credit hours while battling various things is not easy.

So, I did write the 20th century exam this morning. The listening excerpts were quite easy to identify-all that listening on the bus everyday at least once a day since the midterm really worked. I got everything within a measure (or thereabouts...I have no clue what time signature the works were in, I didn't need to know that part). The theory part, well, mostly it was okay, although on my 12-tone matrix, I kept having to white things out. But I think I got it in the end...the only part that tripped me up was 'cardinality', something that was really not covered in class or in the textbook. I also got my essay back...the one that I did a stupid-all nighter and ended up with a miserable stomach/whatever else after taking an hour nap early in the morning and then having to battle that while writing the rest of the paper. The good thing was, I got 91% on it, and the ending paragraph that I felt was horrible was noted to be "well put" by my professor (that part really shocked me).

The strangest thing about today is that despite staying up late and getting up early for the exam...resulting in the 5-ish hours of sleep, and then writing the 3 hour exam, I had a bunch of energy for wind ensemble at 1:00 this afternoon. More than I have really felt since perhaps early December, before things went crazy. So, I'm quite puzzled! My breathing still wasn't amazing, and eating today has been, shall we say, very random (dear Prof. B...if you find any stray cheerios in your office where I was put to write the exam, I apologize!). 'Breakfast' was eaten in the half-handful of bran flakes before I left my house (think a tablespoon worth), a few cheerios before starting the exam along with green tea, and then cheerios eaten randomly throughout the time that I was writing the exam. Dinner? Well, I cut a piece of cheese around 7:30, I think, and had one of those chocolate caramels my student H. gave to me...

I was actually able to, guilt-free, listen to some music on the bus that was NOT for my studies! Meaning that right now, for today only, I did not have anything on my ipod to listen to for my courses, as it was only posted online this evening. No 20th century after I finished the exam, and opera history was finished-examwise-a while ago now. It was a strange experience, deciding what I wanted to listen to, instead of what I needed to listen to...

My mail today told me that I have a stress test next monday...at 1pm. Something about this hospital that is doing the tests on me, they book everything at 1pm, on MWF...sigh. I have to miss BOTH my 20th century class, and my Philosophy of Music class AND I have to reschedule my flute lesson. I already phoned my flute teacher, but she hasn't gotten back to me yet. Actually, I dialed her number while I was still reading the letter...as soon as I saw the January 16th, 1pm time, I cringed and picked up my phone...I hate having to miss classes, hate it, hate it, hate it, hate it...but this has to be done, so I have to do it. Just wish I could have been consulted on this...they just TOLD me, didn't ask at all. All the others, I have had SOME say in them.

Well, that was today. Tuesday is almost over. Time for more 20th century and philsophy and what not...

No comments:

Post a Comment