Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Right place at the right time

That definitely explains how this afternoon's events were. My friend N and I were having tea and coffee together at a Tim Hortons downtown when our friend D came in. I guess she had been waiting for the bus outside and had seen us. Well, we immediately knew something was NOT right (besides just having her wisdom teeth out yesterday) and we were correct. She was planning on bussing down to the emergency room because she realized she had taken too many T3's over the past day, which hadn't helped anyways and that she was probably getting really dehydrated. My friend N and I certainly weren't about to let her go bussing down alone! Well, I found out just how crowded emergency rooms can be-even during midday-during flu season. When she was finally triaged (which was about half an hour), N and I were even more glad that we insisted on bussing down with her (although I must say she didn't put up much of a fuss :))...D's blood pressure was only 80/50! That's getting close to shock range, and she was triaged as a 2. 1 is reserved for people who are REALLY in need of immediate attention (heart attack, stroke, etc), and the scale goes all the way up to 5. I sure hope that she got looked at quickly...N and I left after she was triaged and had her bracelet put on and what-not, and D was going to send us a text to let us know things. It's now four hours since we left her and I haven't heard anything yet. Like N and I, D is an ED patient, and has some physical issues that she deals with on a daily basis as a result. We were probably quite a picture actually, 2 relatively small girls refusing to take off our winter coats at all on either side of an equally small girl who looked like she could easily faint at any minute, not to mention looking in pretty severe pain. Seeing her walk over to the triage desk was hard to watch. It was equally hard to leave her, but I knew that once she was triaged, she would be in good hands and that she probably did need some space at that point.

Just glad that we were in the right place at the right time today. Finding out her blood pressure was so low was kind of scary!

No comments:

Post a Comment