Thursday, September 9, 2010

School...Tomorrow!

It's crazy to think that school starts back for me tomorrow! I think I'm still in summer mode...

Basically, this is both a Horrah! and an oh-my-gosh-what-did-I-get-myself-into time. Of course, I doubt that tomorrow will involve much more than going over the course syllabi. All I have tomorrow is 20th century music, possible noon-time recital to attend and get credit for and then vocal and instrumental collaboration.

I should probably explain about the noon-time recitals and the credits...Most monday, wednesday and fridays, at 12:30 there is some sort of half-hour to forty-five-minute recital. It's sometimes staff, sometimes outside groups/visiting artists but more often then not, it's student recitals. Over the course of fall and winter semesters we are required to get 30 recital credits or else our major practical study grade is lowered a full letter grade (ouch to those who don't get them!). Ten recital credits can be outside credits, such as going to the opera, the symphony, the ballet, the city's jazz orchestra...you get the picture. During both first and second year I made an effort to get all my recital credits in by the end of first semester, and let me tell you, it was certainly a relief to not have that to worry about second semester this past year! I fully intend to aim for this same goal again. Some students complain about the recital credits, but the truth is that the master's students are old enough to remember when 45 recital credits were required! The faculty of music student council has effectively bargained down from 45 to 30 in only a few years. Horrah for them!

I must find my bed and my floor again...and this weekend I take things to the tailor's to be hemmed...the joys of being short. My mom used to hem all my pants, but she's simply not able to anymore. I could do the actual sewing but someone has to measure and pin and it can't be you!

And...I have to decide what to wear for my first day back!

No comments:

Post a Comment