Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Today...

Today was an up/down sort of day. Okay, for most of the day, I have felt a lot more down than up. But, like most days, there were still some higher points. Start of day=getting up to study for philosophy of music exam, not being able to write things out as fast as I would like, so I end up skipping my 20th century music class to study. Even then, I was not so successful, and the exam felt like a bit of well, I don't swear, so I won't say how I...and many of my classmates...felt about how we did on the exam. I kind of fumbled up my answer for the Schopenhauer question, which doesn't thrill me. Masterclass was okay afterwards though, and my lesson was fine. I went over to one of the on-campus restaurants to get some food...the next time I do that, someone should remind me that the pad thai is waaaaay too spicy...a little bit as a tiny side dish would be great, but not as a meal, at least not from this restaurant. At least it didn't cause problems-the intense spice made me a bit concerned that my stomach might react poorly.

Practising was okay, and I fortunately had some company to help counteract the loneliness that I was feeling-perhaps due to the fact that this is the first monday back at school with no more orchestra for me, after several weeks of having fun (or not so much fun) playing Mahler 4 and Wagner. So, I was missing that musical outlet and missing being around my friends and fellow musicians. So it was very, very nice to hang out a bit/chill in between practising sessions with a fellow flautist and a saxophone player. I also got to see my big sister friend B and another flute player later on.

Was this a bad day for coughing? Yes, it was. No doubt on that one. Perhaps some of that was spurred by the exam stress, and then the phonecall from the genetics clinic...the same genetics counsellor who spoke with us in the summer in regards to the hemachromotosis gene. I didn't get in actual contact with her-I unfortunately had my cellphone off at the time on the bus. Genetics I do not expect to get into see anytime soon-probably several month's wait. It's ironic that I only recycled her card a couple of weeks ago, thinking that there was no reason I would need it. The next big thing coming up is the pulmonary function test. I hope it provides some answers as well.

In the meantime, I am supposed to see my family doctor to get the labwork repeated to make sure my electrolytes and protein levels are back in the normal range. If they aren't, it adds another question to the puzzle...called kidneys, and why they aren't maintaining the proper balance (it is very unusual for potassium to drop because of the kidneys, it is usually sodium, and mine was fine). I think I will get my doctor to run the blood sugar check as well, because I definitely do have thirst throughout the day, which is part of the reason I drink so much tea.

Today, I think that they thing that would have helped me the most would have been a big hug from a friend. I didn't get one, but I didn't make it known either.

The highest point of today? Finding out that I got 100% on my 20th century 2 midterm. I was pleasantly surprised...but, most of the class did quite well. There were 15 of us that got 100%. The downer right beside it was finding out that she was taking off marks for each absence from class. Ouch. Counting today, I have missed three classes. One was for my stress test-which I needed to have, and which I could not reschedule. The other was Feb 10th, which we already know about-I really had worked myself into a sick state, physically and mentally. Today, well, that was my poor planning/procrastination/perfectionism being dumb. Next week, I have a music festival class that conflicts...and then March 14th, I will have to miss the class again because of my pulmonary function test. Again, not something that I can reschedule, nor do I want to. Whatever is going on with my lungs has been going on long enough, I want some answers. So, baring anything else from happening, which in my world is not a guarantee, that is at least 5 classes that I will miss. 3 medical, one academic, one stupidity (yes, I will call it that). I am going to go talk to my professor about this on wednesday during office hours. Fortunately, she is approachable. And if I need to get a note from someone doing the pulmonary function test I guess I will...but that is such a lot of hassle, especially as I believe that respiratory therapists run the tests, NOT doctors.

So that was today. Tomorrow will be a day with lots of work-it has to be. Or else.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing the busy, full challenges of your life. I never went to college so it's fun to live it vicariously through those who are there. And how cool to get to study music!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a joy to study music-sometimes very challenging, but I try to embrace everything. Now, nearing the end of my Bachelor's degree, I wish that I was more able to embrace the courses that I was required to take in first and second year. Of course, in second year, beginning in October (2009), I had my mind and heart preoccupied. The days in December that I was unable to play my flute were some of the most challenging days of my life, not knowing when I would be able to again.

      But, I have not produced any recordings :) At least not on my own! My university has produced a series of recordings for young bands that I have been a part of, there have been honour band cds, NYB cds (but neither of these are available to the general public), and International Music Camp cds.

      Delete