Thursday, February 9, 2012

Wednesday-practising, class, class, rehearsal, rehearsal...

Wednesdays are generally pretty busy days, although not as busy as mondays can be. Or perhaps about the same, but things are just spread a little bit differently. The day started out kind of rough, and in some ways, ended rough, but at least on a more positive note. Rough in that my legs practically wouldn't hold me up when I went to turn off my alarm this morning. I guess I was just that tired. But, I caught the bus I wanted to...even though I did not do my Philosophy of Music reading on the bus (eyes closed over mind syndrome). And I had a mini almost-nap in the lounge before practising. Wednesdays seem to be nap days at the FoM...

Practising, well, not as successful as I would have liked. Just didn't work well this morning. But, even professional musicians have days like that. I am sure tomorrow will be better!

20th century, my first class of the day...well, it could have been better, it could have been worse. Our professor is a very nice woman, but at teaching, well, she's a bit lacking. What has moved her up a bit in my books though is that she had us do a course evaluation today-her own, not the standard CQ's. So, I put down just how I felt, and so did everyone else! Maybe some things will change a bit...I hope so, we have a midterm coming up next friday for which we are feeling AAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH or AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH about. Some people probably have different words coming to mind, but those are the ones I am choosing to put down!

Philosophy of Music went okay, no crazy coughing spell before class (as in I did not run up the stairs with my cup of tea). I had a bit of a stress melt-down afterwards though, meaning that my friend C kind of lectured me a bit about what I should be eating/drinking to help with my stomach issues, and something that I could take to maybe help out my lungs. I just might look into some of them...

I tried to work on things, which didn't work so well, although I eventually got started on my concert report, and was actually getting into it. Then, I realized that it was 5pm, and I had to eat dinner before choir. After everything that's been going on, THAT is what had me practically in tears. I didn't feel like it physically, mentally or emotionally. But I knew that I had to before choir, especially as after choir is orchestra, and I need all my wits about me for orchestra!

Choir was good, a bit of coughing on my part, but no almost-December 7th episodes like last week. Orchestra was generally okay too, our conductor R was in a better mood today. My friend N was unfortunately sick somehow...not quite sure on the story there. My friend L said that her stomach was upset, but my friend K said that she had a bit of a breakdown. Either way, I am concerned for her and hope that she is doing much better for tomorrow! This is a very stressful time of the year, it is midterm season, and concert season, you get the picture. There are lots of bugs going around the FoM again.

Orchestra...I wasn't the only one coughing, but I was definitely the loudest and most frequent. What got me is that I was actually coughing a bit near the END of rehearsal. Usually it's at the start for a little while, and then after break for a little while (most likely due to the activity previous to those times). This was actually pretty much constant throughout. Granted, those two times were still the worst, but it didn't totally stop at all. And I was actually coughing a bit on the bus ride home, which I basically don't do either. Until tonight. After orchestra, I reassured some people that for the concert, I am going to take a strong dose of a cough suppressant about an hour before the performance. Mahler 4 was NOT written to include a barking, gasping seal as a percussion instrument. Not sure if the cough suppressant will help, but it's worth a try for the sake of the music. I am somewhat amazed that our orchestra conductor R has not mentioned anything about the cough, given that I cough every single rehearsal, but then again, I'm not sure he even knows my name. I am not even joking on that last point. Or the point before, but we already knew that one.

The good news is that I left orchestra in a pretty positive mood, although a bit worried for my friend N, especially when K mentioned the word 'breakdown'.

Tomorrow is another day, filled with lots more flute-ing. So time for bed!

No comments:

Post a Comment