Friday, April 12, 2013

Day Two

Day two of knowing that my genetic code is abnormal.
Day two of knowing that I am lucky...very lucky...to be alive (stats are that only 1-2% of girls with Turner's make it to full-term)
Day two of having answers...but just as many more questions.
Day two of trying to live a normal life while wondering what my genetic code has done to me.
Day two of feeling even more indignation over "termination for medical reasons".

I don't know what my bones are like.
I don't know what my kidneys are like.
I don't know what my reproductive organs are like.
I don't know what my hormones are like.
I don't know what my blood sugars are like.
I don't know if I will ever be able to have children.

There are lots of unknowns...and then some knowns.

I know that I am one of a small group of girls and women who survive.
I know that I am lucky to have had any sexual development at all.
I know that I have good support from my friends.
I know that my sister was lucky to have a little sister to torment growing up.
I know that my dad was lucky to have a daughter to teach to ride a bike (slowly, but surely, when I was almost eight years old), and to push on the swings for hours, and sing "Yellow Submarine", "Jesus in the morning" and "Six little ducks" (among others)...and now one who keeps him in line!
I know that my mom was lucky to have a daughter to cuddle with and sing "All through the night" and "In the Bleak Midwinter" to when I was little, and to make ensure milkshakes, sit in silence, and be an advocate for when I was 19 and 20.
I know that I am lucky to have found out while I am still 'young'.
I know that I am lucky to have medical care, and medical care of the 21st century in Canada.

There is so much more on my brain. It's still very strange, despite knowing-truly-for several months now that I had Mosaic Turner's Syndrome, and suspecting at least somewhat that I might have Turner's since I was about 15. I guess all big life events are like that. And this is a big event...life changing. Life answering...and life questioning.

No comments:

Post a Comment