Sunday, August 14, 2011

Yesterday evening was a bit of a challenge. I contacted two families that had been very interested in Sunshine One (3.5-4 year olds), but both have decided not to do Sunshine One this year. However, at least one of them has said YES, do phone us in the spring, we're only holding off for a year. And I do admit that he was on the young side for Sunshine One being that he would only JUST be 3.5 when classes start in September. But that still means I only have one Sunshine One so far for this year. SO...this week is advertising week! Or at least the start. Meaning that I mail out tear-off sheets with a brochure, business card and cover letter to all the daycares, preschools and elementary schools in my area, and start doing the neighbourhood drop-offs. Hopefully, that will help so that I can at least get two more Sunshine One registrations so that I can actually do the class. I would HATE to cancel the class because the one that is registered seems like they will be a VERY good parent/child for the program. Plus, the other teacher in my area (my piano teacher) doesn't teach Sunshine One anymore. As my little bit of history digging proved, MY Sunshine One class was actually the last one that she taught! And that was 17 years ago now.

My dad and I went out to lunch at Boston Pizza with a couple of women from church today. Who should be sitting at the table across from us than my grade six band teacher? It was a pleasant surprise, especially because I had been feeling the need to get in contact with my grade six teachers, and just share that I was now a teacher myself. I still haven't found the contact information for one of them, but I found out where one of them is now working. The only other person from my grade K-6 years that I want to get in contact with is my kindergarten/grade three teacher, in part because of how much my mom admired her. So much so that she continued volunteering in her class for a few years AFTER I had finished grade three! I'm not sure my teacher knew just how special she was, and I'd like her to know that. I found out that she just retired in the spring after 36 years of teaching, so I'm hoping that if I send a letter to her last school that they will still be able to get it to her.

So yesterday I really had to dig for 'pleasant thoughts' to end my journal entry. I think I even wrote that I couldn't think of any, besides that construction on the basement kept going along at a nice pace. The crew is pretty amazing with the long hours that they work...generally 9-11 hours a day, AND saturdays. So 6 days a week. I'm very happy about that though, because it means things will get finished all that much quicker. They are almost finished doing the 'mudding' of the drywall (covering up any nails and things that would make the paint overtop not be smooth). The storage room may actually be completely finished this coming week, which would be good because then we can get a lot of the things that are sitting around the other spaces into the storage room and make it easier for them to put down the carpet, paint, etc.

So, that's what's happening now. Hopefully in two weeks or so, the basement will be completely finished!

No comments:

Post a Comment