Monday, August 22, 2011

Jack Layton...

Cancer, I HATE YOU!!!!!!!

I have been an NDP supporter since I was ten years old and studying politics in social studies. An election was happening that year and we had a contest in class to see who could come closest to the actual seat count. Well, my friend K won the contest, but that was the start of my interest in politics. I remember that the first reason I was attracted to the NDP was that they had the only female leader! (Trust a ten year old's logic). Over the years however, I have found that, for the most part, the NDP not only matches many of my beliefs, but the politicians are friendly, charismatic and optomistic.

Back in early 2010, Jack Layton announced that he was battling prostate cancer. He successfully won that battle, but just a few weeks ago, after the NDP party did incredibly well (best ever) in the May 2011 election, winning enough seats to become the Official Opposition, Jack Layton announced that he was "temporarily stepping aside" from his role as leader of the NDP to have treatment for a new, second cancer. Call me an optimist, or someone not wanting to see anyone die of cancer (least of all the politician I most respect), but I figured that that was that. Radiation is usually about 6 weeks long, so I figured that it was likely a cancer that would be dealt with in about 6 weeks, fitting the 'back in the fall' timeline. However, this morning, at about 5am, Jack Layton died at the age of 61. That was NOT the wakeup call I wanted on the news this morning.

My prayers go to his family and to the NDP members that will now be stepping up to take over the leadership role of the party. May the next leader do as amazing a job of Jack Layton. He will not be forgotten.

No comments:

Post a Comment