Monday, March 4, 2013

You know you look young when...

You are confused for an elementary school student when you go to a church to play your flute to accompany Song for the Mira for an elementary school choir during your city's music festival.

Actually, it was a great experience once again. I did it for this same choir three or four years ago, can't remember which. Pretty sure four years ago though. It's a beautiful piece with a nice flute part, although it does include some trills that are pretty much possible at that speed. I believe that they are written in because it can also be played on the oboe, which would have a much easier time with those particular trills. ANYWAYS...

Listening to decent children's choirs is relaxing. There really is something about a good children's choir that's special, although it is hard to explain. So that was a good thing for today. The adjudicator was none other than M, one of my choir conductors from last year! That was quite a perk as well. M is a wonderful director with WAY more energy than I have and a knack for both children and adults.

Okay, and I'm going to be completely honest and say that my flute ego was boosted quite a bit today by lots of compliments, from M and D (the choir conductor) and all of the folks helping out at the festival...even another choir conductor. M and D REALLY had the compliments for me though...along the lines of "most fabulous flute player in the world". Now, I KNOW that that isn't true, obviously (and how could one even really judge that) but it sure felt pretty good!

Actually, being confused for an elementary school student when you are a 22-year-old fifth-year university student...it's pretty funny. Before D had introduced me to the kids, as we were walking to the warm-up room, some of the kids were debating whether I was a kid or an adult. It was pretty hilarious to listen to. Oh, to have the carefree nature of being ten years old again. My biggest worries at age ten? Being allowed to stay home alone for more than a few minutes at a time, wondering if I would ever grow taller (whoops...), and practising piano. Even making the odd mistake on tests and what-not didn't faze me THAT much. Yes, I was more intense about my grades and worked quite hard, but I wasn't bothered by getting a mark wrong on the health test. For some reason I remember this particular test, and one of the marks that I got wrong...why, might you ask? Because I mislabelled a piece of female anatomy. I confused the 2 'V' portions of the anatomy. Oh well. I most certainly know them now!

Now, I'm working on a paper for my history of antisemitism class. It's on a rather disturbing children's book published in 1936, with approximately 100,000 copies distributed. To be honest, one of the most disturbing parts about the book is simply that it was written and illustrated by a young woman barely past childhood herself-18 year old Elvira Bauer. The link to this book is

http://www.calvin.edu/academic/cas/gpa/fuchs.htm

I also finished an assignment for orchestration today. Hopefully, I did things correctly. I think that I spent about the same amount of time on it, it just feels like I spent less simply because I did it over several days and not just one or two as I did the previous two assignments. It's also due on wednesday.

I should seriously have something on my computer that limits my time on non-beneficial websites to just a few minutes every few hours. I actually do need to have my internet on to work on the paper, that is the problem!

No comments:

Post a Comment