Saturday, July 30, 2011

Marriages and a wrong number phone call...

I guess I can chalk everything up to seeing a couple of announcements on Facebook yesterday-the marriage of two of my high school classmates and the engagement of another (that one was the real shocker, but I'm very happy for him!). As I was practising tonight (as in I finally got down to it after pushing past my irrational fear), my phone rings...a wrong number call. For the second time in a week. For the same person, a young woman named Ariel. But a different guy. When he said Ariel, I said "You have the wrong number again" and something about how he'd phoned me at five am last sunday. Turns out that yes, he knew that guy, and the woman both were trying to reach is an accountant. Here's where we started interacting. I said that I was a musician, not an accountant, and that I'd actually been practising when he called."Oh? What type of music are you into?" I said I was a flute player, and also a piano teacher, that I taught a program called Music for Young Children. He plays the guitar apparently. Then, things got a little bit more crazy. He said, "I know this is kind of crazy, but you sound really nice, maybe you'd like to go for coffee or something, I'd like to get to know you..." I started with my "I'm not really looking for anyone, I'm very busy, I'm a full-time university student" routine. Well, in the end...I sort of actually agreed. Said that he could phone me in September and maybe we could meet at a Tims on campus (I figured this would be a safe location-VERY busy, and VERY public). I realize that a lot of my feelings on my impulsivity probably came from seeing three more of my friends/classmates 'pair up and settle down' and a feeling that life was passing me by. To be honest, I went on Facebook looking for guidance from a friend. Well, no one was online that would be a good person to talk to (closest was my 14 year old flautist friend, and she's not really qualified in this area yet!), so I texted a good friend who usually texts back right away...she said that I should go for it, as long as I'm careful, that a complete accidental meeting was how she met the love of her life. So at least I'm not crazy. Maybe God truly IS doing something here. But I'm still a bit paranoid! However, I think I just might meet him once for caffeine (I don't drink coffee!), and see how it goes from there. Being a musician is definitely one shot in his-Cameron's-favour. But...well...who knows? He does have to be Christian before I'd consider anything more than a friendship! And in my mind, at 26, he's still a bit old for me...I think I need to pray about this! And then trust God to guide me in what's right.

No comments:

Post a Comment