Saturday, July 9, 2011

Awkward and frustrating...

Right after dinner (one which was quite hard for me), in a complete coincidence situation, my dad turns on our local weather network, run through the cable company. This station tends to play all sorts of background music, from classical to jazz to country, to who knows what. Anyway, my dad turns it on and says "oh, this used to be one of my favourite bands, the Carpenters" (or something along those lines). I make the usual sort of vague replies from the kitchen as I'm cleaning up, something along the lines of 'okay'. Then, for whatever reason, he continues "the lead singer starved herself...she was anorexic". AWKWARD with a capital YIKES! As calmly and unrevealingly as I can, I reply back "why did you feel you needed to mention this?"...his response was something along the lines of making conversation. I, of course, feel the need to state my point and answer back "It's an illness". The conversation pretty much died there. It was incredibly frustrating at that point, lots of statements wanting to burst out, such as "one of my closest friends has anorexia"..."what if I told you that I have anorexia"...that sort of thing. It wouldn't even be much of an exaggeration, I'm about 2-3 pounds away from anorexia weight (it comes up quickly when you're short like me), although one of the diagnostic criteria can't be met until at least three months has passed (I won't go into detail). It's a daily, minutely, secondly battle. I forced myself to drink a cup of cold milk today, and it was a challenge, and not a pleasant one. I hadn't had cold milk outside of cereal in I don't know how many months. I don't know how many minutes it took me to take the first step either. Eating dinner is becoming increasingly hard. And to add to those frustrations, today I slept in crazily late for me. I was supposed to catch a bus at about 10:10 this morning to meet a friend for tea. Well, when I woke up-after hardly noticing switching off my seven alarms and sleeping completely through the 2 hours of the eighth (the radio), it was 10:40! I couldn't believe it and was pretty down on myself. What was confusing to me was that I went to bed just at midnight and fell asleep pretty quickly, so I slept close to 10 and a half hours. This might not confuse me during the school year, but the fact is, I've been sleeping about 9 hours a night, sometimes more. So I shouldn't be so sleep-deprived that I can't get up. This is one of only 2 times when I have really slept in and missed something important. Yes, that's right, in all my school history, only once have I slept in and missed the bus. When I was little-grades one and two-my mom on a few occasions wouldn't get me up for school (although I'd generally awake at about the same time anyway) because she felt I needed to sleep (my guess is that she did this to avoid illness on my part, because when I was little, if I didn't get enough sleep, I tended to catch whatever was going around-especially stomach bugs). But only once-during my first year of university in the winter semester-did I sleep past catching my bus, and I still made it to class on time by getting a ride to a stop where I could catch the express bus downtown. Never have I slept in like this! Normally, even if I'm really, really tired in the morning, I can force myself to get up. I do remember a fleeting moment of remembering that I needed to get up when the first alarm went off at about 8am this morning, but that was it. I have no recollection of anything on the radio, and I was definitely dreaming quite vividly during that 8-10:40 time. I'm glad that my friend was still waiting, and also glad I could catch a ride from my dad downtown so that I was there at about 11:15, only 25 minutes late. But I still feel very frustrated about missing that bus! Tonight, obviously I need to go to bed earlier...I wish I was one of those lucky few that only needs 4 or 5 hours of sleep. It would be so much more practical.

No comments:

Post a Comment