Friday, December 17, 2010

Essay...essay...essay...(repeat as required!)

These past few days have been dedicated to working on my final summary report for Intro to Ethnomusicology. Or so it's supposed to have been. It hasn't been especially easy to get down to it. I now have 11 hours, 28 minutes until it is due. I've been going about it in a different way than I often do essays. Usually, for the past couple of years, when I write an essay, I take down individual points/quotes etc on note cards, and then arrange them into an outline which I type almost immediately into the computer. This one, for whatever reason, because it is basically based on my notes and handouts from the course and any discussions I remember or things I already knew, I've been writing it lying on my bedroom floor as if it's an inclass open-book essay. And when I actually get down to that, I write like the wind doing that. But, so far, only 1.5 pages have been typed into the computer, and I have to have at least 8 pages. Distractions have been numerous, between me wanting to clean, watch some shows on my computer, knit on the blanket for my friend who's due in late February...

Speaking of that, that's where it's kind of funny. We were both intending to do an all-nighter last night, but neither one of us did. The funny thing was is that I was knitting on this blanket for her while on breaks! Well, pretty soon, I need to get back to this essay. Before long, it'll be finished. One thing that has been an excuse for me has been the cloudy day-my bedroom floor hasn't been as bright and so I've been going, oh, I'll wait until it's brighter. Well, I think I should just perhaps turn on a light, although I don't want to. But I have to get this essay finished (it is worth 40% of my final grade!). I've been trying to reassure myself that I don't have to stress too excessively because if I calculated correctly, I only need to get about a 77% on the essay to get an A in the course, and that really, a B+ wouldn't be the end of the world...but my perfectionism is not easy to deal with. Well, back at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment