Saturday, December 18, 2010

Cue the hallelujah chorus...followed by me crying!

I finished the essay, after rewriting the last paragraph for close to an hour at around 11:30! Thank goodness. Cue the hallelujah chorus on finishing it, but follow it up by me crying because the course is now over. I cannot begin to describe what an incredible experience it was. And how much it has affected me, and really increased views that were already existing. I have really come to believe VERY STRONGLY that despite the view by many that Euro-North American beliefs and customs are the best or to be aspired to, that no culture, whether it is the tiniest african tribe, or Inuit village, or the most populated country (China, followed by India) on the planet is more important or more 'right' than any other. This course, which at the start seemed to cover an awful lot, has recently made me realize just how little it really did cover (due to lack of time). It's like one drop off the largest ice berg in the ocean. Incredible is the only way to describe it, and the first professor is one of the most amazing people I have ever met. I feel so honoured to have had him four three courses now (even if this one was cut short). His immense knowledge, humanity, humour, and presence are unlike any I've ever known. Although I've had other good professors, he is definitely the top professor. To make things easier on myself, I have seperated the terms professor and teacher-it's too hard to pick ONE teacher from high school/middle school.

To give you a taste of both his insight, and his humour, here are some quotes that I took down during September and October...I posted this as a note on facebook to share with my friends from the class, as well as all those at the faculty who have yet to take the course!!!

"What exactly is the meaning of the word meaning?"
"If I were in charge of international diplomacy, the world would collapse tomorrow"
"India had 7 or 8 years to prepare, looks like they left it to the last minute (the commonwealth games)....sounds like my bank account"
"if western countries would step out of the picture once in a while, countries have an inate way of fixing things. It behooves us to think of the beauty of the land and people"
"There's a lot of drinking that gos on in Eastern Europe; it's celebratory and wild and I'm not very good at it" (student) "I'm sure you could get a student  to help you!"
"I think it's really unfair that there's men that gorgeous walking around. Unfair to the rest of us, that is (pause)" ('Martin-the only guy in the course')..."yeah..."
"I never know if I'm forwarding or rewinding-that always gets me in trouble...you guys grew up with these damn buttons!"
"Obviously I will never have this experience" (in regards to pregnancy)
"I find it amusing that years ago, my unborn child objected quite vehemently to Wagner"
(in describing what he sometimes puts on a sign at halloween) "There are two choices...you can have broccoli or candy. Let me know by yelling at the door"
"Nor can I demonstrate anything aboriginal without herniating myself"
"We need some candles and incense to really experience this...I'm only referring to legal items"
"Gotcha!!!" (in response to the technology not wanting to have the screen on and finally getting it)
"We have a double bar and they don't"
"Does it make you want to be in the company of a particular person?"
"Who wants to listen to an old man talk about these things...(aside in a Groucho Marx voice "even though I'm very experienced!")
and finally...what made each class complete...don't forget...

THE EAR SPLITTING, SPINE BREAKING SOUND OF THE SOUND SYSTEM NOT DISCONNECTING/CONNECTING PROPERLY!

(after a class where this hadn't happened until we were leaving) "Now the class is complete!'

All throughout October, Intro to Ethno was one of the few times a week where I found myself really able to focus on something besides being away from my mom in the hospital. If that doesn't say something positive about the course, nothing will!

Oh, and here is the link to my favourite piece that we watched and learned about...it unfortunately gets cut off, but is WELL worth the time. Nusrat Fateh Ali Ahan is the man on the left doing the majority of the singing and leading. What presence. Oh, and this is Sufi music from Pakistan- a qawwali hamd prayer, which is a prayer to a Sufi saint.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQSbF8Qy5tc

No comments:

Post a Comment