Monday, October 4, 2010

3 months.

My mom was, officially, given about 3 months today-unless the possible biological treatment that they sent tumour samples off to Toronto to test comes back with a certain genetic marker is a possiblity. If it is, then she has about 6 months IF she choses to go ahead with the treatment. Which she of course, might not-if the side effects are bad, then she won't. She has pretty much everything in order, and there's nothing for her to push to see-no weddings or graduations or major recitals or anything like that in the near future. To be honest, actually being told what I already figured was more of a relief than anything. I think my mom and I have a bit of a connection in that I just feel and know things about her sometimes. I'm going to look into who I could get to videotape/record my little noon-hour recital because I doubt my mom will be able to get there.

The only really good news about today was that the bowel obstruction is only partial and appears to be caused by the cancer. I know that sounds like 'bad' news, but it's preferable to being told that it was blocked inside and that they'd have to do a bowel resection. Not that my mom was a candidate for that-she is far too weak. They've started her back on a little bit of liquids, and so far that's going all right. Perhaps her stomach and everything just needed a bit of a rest. I think she'll be in for at least three or four more days though. I highly doubt they'll let her go before saturday-they need to be sure that she can drink enough so that she doesn't just come back to the ER  in a few days. My question was, if this is caused by the cancer, won't this just keep happening? And if so...are they going to keep on the iv's indefinitely?

My heart is going about a million miles a second right now...my dad's brother just phoned and that probably means only one thing...that my grandma has died.

No comments:

Post a Comment