Friday, November 2, 2012

2-year anniversary

In a few short hours (okay, just shy of 16), it will be two years since my mom died. Two years. The past couple of days building up to this have not been the easiest, and now, realizing that it is after midnight, and that it is the anniversary of my mom's death has resulted in a wave of emotions.

I think things were triggered a bit more by finding out for certain that an important member of the music community in my city died suddenly a few days ago, at only 65. For years, he was my RCM representative, meaning that he was the 'friendly face' and reassuring voice of confidence at so many exams that I can't even count them all. I've never been the best with death, but I've felt especially vulnerable to death and serious illness this fall...three of my neighbours (who I have known since I was 2 years old) are seriously ill (in one household no less!), a fellow MYC teacher, my flute teacher's father (the exact same age as my dad), now this gentlemen. Some of the kids that I follow on caringbridge/carepages have also recently passed away or likely will very soon. Taylor Heersche passed away this week, and Ariel Gariano, who I have been following for almost a year now is doing very, very poorly. Her family just wants her to get to sunday when they are celebrating "Christmas in November" together. That is my prayer too. She has battled rhabdomyosarcoma for just over five years now...

I hurt, I miss my mom, I can't believe it's been so long when it still feels like a day ago that she said the last words to me that I really remember, words that will remain forever etched in my memory..."I do love you so much" as tears choked her voice and I myself was trying desperately not to burst out into tears (wanting to be strong for her). The day after that, she decided that she had had enough and asked that all food and water be discontinued, wherein the two and a half hardest weeks of my life began.

And then there's me...I've noticed in the past two or so weeks a lot of weird feeling in my heart, and more of the dull aches or small twinges. Oftentimes when I would bend down in my chair when teaching I would get the weird beating start up, or when lying down in bed, or hurrying outside in the cold weather. I know that I need to get checked out by my doctor but like last year, well, I keep putting things off, and putting things off when it comes to this. In a few short days I hit the anniversary of when I really started to notice things going funny for me. Again, hard to believe that it's been a year since that started up, but at the same time, I can hardly remember what it was like not to have it going on.

I just wish I could have a hug from my mom again. Days like this, I wish I was five years old, with my mom there, and no social constraints whatsoever on curling up in her lap.

No comments:

Post a Comment