Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Stress? ED? Physiology?

Today was a bit of a stressful day...it started off slightly on the wrong foot because I didn't wake up in time to phone at 9am eastern time (which is earlier for me), so I then was concerned that I wouldn't get the materials for my students that just registered (Two Sunshine One registrations, and one Moonbeams One registration-so four in each class, which is an improvement over last year. Not so sure about the Sunbeams One class, but there is still time to pick up students. Some teachers often pick up the last 1-2 students in each class in September, and you also get to a point where you go "it would be nice to have more students, but I'm too tired to push for anymore right now") ordered in time for their classes that start on saturday. But, the CanadaPost website gave an approximated date of Sept 7th. Which means that YES, they will be here for saturday classes! Then, I received an email from a parent who had registered their two children for Sunshine One and Sunbeams One, but had just received their work schedule, and now saturday classes would not work for them. This was quite unfortunate as one of them was a Sunrise student with me this past year, and I was really looking forward to it. Plus, it leaves me wondering a little bit more about the Sunbeams One class...

Anyways...and then my friend N cancelled our tea meeting because her bloodwork was going to take too long, but we rescheduled to friday. I just hope her bloodwork was okay, given that she frequently ends up with low potassium and has to get special IV fluids for it.

So...stressful part...getting all my job application forms into the University. I felt a bit like a chicken with head cut off, and then there was the Major Area Paper concern, paying university fees, getting my new textbook for my Intro to Psych course...

Ah, Intro to Psychology. If I want to apply into the Music Therapy program, then I have to take an Intro to Psych course, so I registered for one yesterday, snatching up the last spot in that particular course. Wednesdays at 3:30-4:20. Anyways...a first year course. Nearly 300 students. Partially done online. My guess is that out of those 300, only about 150-200 will actually show up most of the time, and of that number, only about half will do the work. I certainly intend to prove that I am a capable, responsible fifth-year university student. From the looks of the textbook and from my social-worker-sister, it's quite likely that this course will be a 'bird' course from me. Well, that is just fine, I guess. I like intellectually challenging courses, but it never hurts to have a course where you get an A+ without really working that hard. My sister said that pretty much all of her marks came from 6 multiple choice tests and 10% participation, "Maybe one assignment". I can do that.

Anyways...schedule was a bit messed up, and my stomach was a bit turned off by food when I had breakfast this morning, so I just had a small peanut butter bran muffin with some peanut butter on top. That was about 10 or 10:30 this morning. I then went down to the university at 12:30 and started my business there. By the time I got home it was after 4pm, and I still hadn't eaten. I was hungry, but then I forgot...

Now, I can tell that my body really does need some fuel, but my stomach feels like it has closed off a bit, meaning that going almost 12 hours on only a small muffin with peanut butter really doesn't work for my digestive system. I've had some water and peppermint tea, and may go and have another small muffin...but the hard part is that ED is starting to act up because of this. A sign that I still need to watch out. See, intellectually I KNOW that I need to eat something. Physically, I can tell that my body isn't meant to run on less than 300 calories for a day. My nails are a bit darker and I can feel my heartbeat more.

I may only have a very mild heart condition, but it still puts additional stress on my body...and with the ticking time bomb that is my heart valve...well...taking the best possible care of myself only makes sense. Of course it makes sense for everyone, but my body has shown that it has a lower threshold for certain things-like heat, cold, lack of sleep, food...that, whether I fight it tooth and nail or accept it and learn to adapt to it, is my reality. And as I was telling my friend B the other day, gently pushing myself seems to work a lot better than fighting my body tooth and nail...

Words to live by.

No comments:

Post a Comment