Sunday, July 29, 2012

Sundays...not supposed to be this eventful!

Summer sundays are not typically this eventful for me! Day started with me waking up from having what I would call a disturbing or unsettling dream. It was kind of a reverse history dream...my mom was alive and it was ME that was going in for surgery. It was probably triggered by reading a bit about congenital heart defects and whatnot. Either way...the dreams in which my mom are healthy are hard. The strangest thing was that I never actually got the surgery. Somehow, our little public library was connected to the hospital, and my minister was there, wishing me luck...but then I ended up in our church's sunday school hall to go to the bake sale. I was perusing the jams/jellies sections when I was woken up.

My dad was guest preaching/filling in at one of the struggling presbyterian churches in our city this morning...a church without air conditioning...when the temperature this afternoon went up to 34 degrees. Needless to say, during that hour, my heart got put under some stress, and I don't know how much longer I could have tolerated the heat. It was on the second floor of the church too, and there was almost no breeze this morning, so having the windows open and the fans on really didn't do anything. In total, including my dad, myself, and the church organist...there were a total of 18 people there. Hence why I say that the church is struggling. Anyways...it was hot. Period. My dad did all right though-writing sermons is not exactly his strong suit, and he tends to get a bit excited when presenting and typically stumbles a bit over words during scripture readings. What sort of bothered me was that the pew bibles were not the same version/edition as the pulpit bible. I sometimes like to follow along, but had to stop because my brain hurt from trying to combine them!

After the service, I took him out to Moxies, because I had a 'buy one brunch, get one free', so we enjoyed that. I figured that the rest of the day would be pretty uneventful, but around 4:30, I noticed that the very hot sunny day had started turning less-than-sunny. We had quite the thunderstorm, although it was relatively short lived and THANKFULLY cooled things down pretty quickly. However, about halfway through watching Masterpiece Mystery together (because we're cool like that...), the phone rang, and it was my sister. I guess her end of the city had things a bit more severely than we did, because one of the trees in her backyard was uprooted and crashed down on her garage, and a powerline was also knocked down by it. Though she strangely still has power. Let's just say that hearing things like that is pretty shocking, especially as less than a month ago, she was again 'spared' when the guys installing her air conditioner told her that her furnace had a six inch crack in it and that she was pretty lucky that she hadn't been exposed to toxic levels of carbon monoxide poisoning (as she did not have a CO alarm at the time).

It's been less than a year since she bought the house, but she has certainly had her share of the "Joy of owning a home" experiences in that time.

Experiences like today remind you of how much you love someone...and how easily things can go wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment