Monday, March 24, 2014

Egg retrieval

So, I have been silent for sometime. Probably too long.

A lot of things have happened in the past two months.

#1: I finished my major area paper. That means that after five and a half years of university, all of the requirements for my degree are finished, and I will be graduating in May. Surreal.

#2: After waiting 18 days, I finally found out that I got an A on the paper, which was my goal. My advisor was actually somewhat negative in the comments though, which was somewhat confusing. Oh well. Done. I admit that it *was* a bit too long, and hadn't had much editing, so it was 66 pages long.

#3: Unfortunately, on March 7th, we lost one of our long-time music teachers. I will miss her deeply.

#4: I took my last birth control pill on March 14th. This was NOT to prevent pregnancy, but rather to regulate my cycle so that the clinic could plan when I would be starting on the stimulation meds. After several tense days of waiting, my body finally responded appropriately on March 18th, and I went into the clinic for ultrasound and bloodwork on March 19th. The results showed that I was 'suppressed', which meant that I started the injections of Luveris and Gonal F that evening. These are two meds that stimulate the ovaries to mature more eggs than normal (normal is one, on occasion two). They are given by injection, so over the past few days I have had a crash course in that.

So. The big #4. I have now done five days of injections of Luveris and Gonal F. Although I was shaking the first couple of days, the actual INJECTION action is pretty simple. A tiny 27 gauge needle is used, and it is virtually painless, providing I stay in the appropriate shot regions of my abdomen or thighs. Using the syringe itself is sometimes a bit trickier. Gonal F comes in a pen, which is great-you dial the dose and it's set. However, the Luveris comes in a powder. I dial the dose of the Gonal F, then inject it into the Luveris vial. THEN, I have to draw up 1ml of sterile water (provided in a separate tiny vial with my Luveris), and inject that into the Luveris/Gonal F vial. The sterile water bit is not quite as easy. Sometimes just when I think I have got all of it out the needle slips back (suction and all) and I have to start all over again. Same thing happens with the final mixing. The meds don't hurt going in, just a touch of pressure at the end a couple of times.

I have given five days of the meds, so today I was back at the clinic for a further ultrasound and bloodwork. Bloodwork went all right THIS time. My first appointment, the nurse refused to use a smaller Butterfly needle, and mangled my arm up a bit. Still a huge green bruise that is painful to touch. This time, the nurse came in with a Butterfly needle! I had been told by last week's nurse that they didn't HAVE butterfly needles. Today, when I saw her I questioned her on it, and she said "Oh, we have them, we just don't like to use them". THEN she proceeded to say "Besides, it worked okay with you last time". Right, except for nearly not being able to get any blood, and leaving me with a huge bruise and a very sore arm.

Ultrasound last week was okay. Internals are quite painful for me due to my size/sexual history (otherwise known as lack thereof). Today it was less pleasant. Last week, I had Dr. E, who was very gentle, patient, and took the time to explain things, point them out etc while still getting through the ultrasound as quickly as possible. Today, I had Dr. L...

It was less pleasant. Much less pleasant. I get told by the nurse to undress and get on the table. No problem. I proceed to do so, and then spend approximately TWENTY minutes there before he finally comes in! That was problem number one. So I'm already a bit cold and irritated. THEN, I have to remind him of my latex sensitivity as I see him putting a latex condom on the ultrasound wand. This is clearly written in my chart. NEXT, he is much rougher about the insertion, AND the actual procedure. He then questions me "Are you having sex?" Well, NO, that is why this is so uncomfortable. I *get* that a few women will still have intact hymens after sexual activity, but it isn't super super common. Mine is intact. Also, I do believe that all that info is ALSO in my chart. And yeah, I know that when I go through the procedure I'm going to have even a slightly bigger wand, but I also know that I'm going to be decently dosed with meds...Fentanyl and Versed aren't exactly Advil.

So overall...6 of one, half a dozen of the other. Last week's wednesday appointment was slightly more traumatic in that lack of sleep (due to nerves the night before that kept me up later than I should have been), severe morning headache for which I couldn't take Advil and which Tylenol only slightly dulled, nerves about the appointment and then having my green tea on an empty stomach sent things quickly down hill. One minute I was fine, the next I'm hit by sudden nausea, and the next I'm bending over in the washroom seeing it once again. Today I was much more careful! Went to bed earlier, woke up headache free, had a good blood draw, and had my muffin BEFORE my green tea! No upset stomach today thankfully.

Tonight I pick up two more days of Gonal F and Luveris, as well as Cetratide, which is a med to prevent ovulation. It means two separate injections, which is less fun, but doable. Hopefully Cetratide doesn't sting either. I go back on wednesday for more bloodwork and scans. All appts are first thing in the morning, so "same time, same station, same activity".

Well...that recaps the past month and a half. Other than my students' composition recital which happened yesterday!

No comments:

Post a Comment