Saturday, December 15, 2012

Connecticut Shooting

Like everyone who read the news, wherever they were-be it in the United States, here in the frozen prairies of Canada, in France as my friend M. is at the moment, in Oxford as my friend N is right now...I was utterly shocked, and upon reading the news article started crying.

It turned worse tonight...I found out that the six-year-old daughter of a former jazz instructor at my school of music-a very nice gentleman who I knew by name and sight and who always had a smile, positive word or compliment for everyone-was among the children killed today. His son was not injured. Upon hearing the news my feelings changed even more greatly.

And then a different awareness came over me...the fact that even if I did NOT know personally anyone who was affected that I should feel just as affected. Things like what happened today are just NOT acceptable, in ANY way. I don't know the whole story obviously, I doubt anyone does yet and we perhaps may never know the complete story...but to me it speaks on a number of different areas. Gun control and better action against violence for sure, but also in how we help those with mental illness (which I believe it has been mentioned the killer had).

That's all for tonight...

No comments:

Post a Comment